Chicago Mesothelioma Lawyer
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a rare and dangerous form of cancer that comes from prolonged exposure to asbestos. Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral that is resistant to heat and chemicals. It has many industrial and construction uses, and was once a major component of manufactured goods, insulations, and other construction materials. However, asbestos has been found to be the major cause of several health problems including:
- Lung Cancer
How Does Asbestos Cause Mesothelioma?
Prolonged asbestos exposure leads to mesothelioma. This happens when someone comes into contact with asbestos fibers and inhales them or ingests them. This usually happens on a jobsite or near one of the following locations:
- Asbestos Mines
- Shipyard or Ship Building Facility
- Construction Sites
- Insulation Manufacturing Facilities
- Military Installations
- Those present or near where the Twin Towers fell may be at risk of mesothelioma
When ingested or inhaled, these microscopic asbestos fibers travel through the body and get lodged in the stomach, lungs, or abdomen. The lodged fibers create scarring and over a long period of time the cells mutate into cancer cells. Mesothelioma is particularly dangerous because it develops over such a long time. It can take 20 to 50 years for a person to begin exhibiting mesothelioma symptoms, and by the time it’s discovered the cancer is usually extremely advanced.
Types of Mesothelioma
- Pleural Mesothelioma: Cancer in the lining of the lungs. This is the most common form and accounts for nearly 75% of cases.
- Testicular Mesothelioma: Another rare form of mesothelioma. It forms in the lining of the testes and is usually only discovered while performing another medical procedure. Very little is known about this form of mesothelioma.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma: This cancer develops in the thin membrane that lines the abdominal organs. These account for nearly 20% of cases.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma:Cancer in the lining of the heart. This is a very rare form and usually accompanies peritoneal mesothelioma. Less is known about this form of mesothelioma and it is difficult to treat.
Get Compensated with the Help of Our Mesothelioma Lawyers
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you deserve compensation for your pain, suffering, and medical expenses. You most likely were exposed to asbestos while you were on the job. You deserve to be compensated for the lack of safety precautions your employer took to keep their employees safe. Balkin & Mausner’s mesothelioma lawyers are dedicated to helping people who suffer from mesothelioma the help they deserve. Call us now for a free case evaluation.